Monday, January 13, 2014

Back to Italy, Back to School!!!



Buongiorno Beauties!!!
So, here I am back in Italy and that means back to school for me! I am an artist, so all of my studies, since the beginning of high school, have been in the art field. When my family and I moved to Italy (when I was 14) I began high school in a small  artist town called Pietrasanta, in Tuscany. The school I went to was the Art Institute Stagio Stagi, and I specialized in Architecture. I can't even begin to explain how much I loved my high school experience!! When I lived in New York, I used to stay up all night creating my art (at the time drawings, collages, jewelry, etc). The middle of the night was the only time I could find when I wasn't busy with school, learning italian, watching my brother, helping out at home and doing all the other stuff that keeps New Yorkers busy! So at Stagio Stagi, for the first time I was able to dedicate my time and myself to what I loved most: art! I still had all of the other subjects one has in high school of course, but the focus was art and art history and I can still remember how excited I felt every single day when I woke up and got ready for school! Of course it didn't hurt to be living in the art capital of the world either and to be surrounded by centuries of history!
After high school I spent the next three years at the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence, studying Graphic Arts. My focus was   traditional Graphics, so my classes included a lot of etching, drawing and, of course, art history. These three years FLEW BY!!! I did, however, have the time I needed to experiment with a lot of mediums and styles and, as Florence is a breathtakingly beautiful city, I had all the inspiration I needed!
And now, since October, I am doing my Masters at the Academy of Fine Arts in Carrara! My Masters is in Painting, which I feel, is necessary to complete my academic career. I have always loved painting and wanted to take some time to truly focus on it, so now is my chance! Carrara is famous for its white marble, which is used all over the world and comes from the Alpi Apuane. It's a small town, but a beautiful one and the Academy is in a castle! Yes, a castle!!! So begins a new artistic adventure and I'm so SO EXCITED! 

Buongiorno Beauties!
Sono appena tornata in Italia e ciò significa per me che è arrivato il momento di tornare agli studi! Essendo un'artista, tutti gli studi che ho fatto fino ad ora (a partire dal liceo) sono stati nel campo dell'arte. Quando mi sono trasferita in Italia con la mia famiglia (all'età di 14 anni) mi sono iscritta all'Istituto d'Arte Stagio Stagi (indirizzo Architettura) nella cittadina degli artisti, Pietrasanta, in Toscana.  Non riesco neanche a spiegare quanto ho adorato la mia esperienza in quella scuola! Quando vivevo a New York, stavo sveglia tutta la notte per dare vita alle mie creazioni (all'epoca disegni, collage, gioielli, ecc). Era l'unico momento della giornata in cui non ero impegnata con la scuola, lo studio della lingua italiana, col mio fratellino e tutte le altre cose che tengono una New Yorker impegnata! Quindi, per la prima volta, allo Stagio Stagi ho avuto la possibilità di dedicare il mio tempo e me stessa a quello che più amavo: l'arte! Ovviamente c'erano anche le altre tipiche materie delle scuole superiori, ma l'attenzione principale era sull'arte e sulla storia dell'arte. Mi ricordo ancora quanto mi sentivo entusiasta ogni mattina, svegliandomi e preparandomi per andare a scuola! Certo, non guastava neanche vivere nella capitale dell'arte per tutto il mondo ed essere circondata da secoli di storia!
Dopo il liceo, ho passato i successivi tre anni all'Accademia di Belle Arti di Firenze, dove mi sono specializzata in Grafica d'Arte. Il percorso di studio è stato di stampo tradizionale, con materie  quali incisione, disegno e storia dell'arte. Questi tre anni SONO VOLATI!!! Mi hanno dato, comunque, il tempo necessario per sperimentare materiali nuovi e stili diversi tra loro. Inoltre, va detto che Firenze è una città stupenda dove non mi sono mai mancate fonti d'ispirazione!
E ora, a partire da Ottobre, ho iniziato il Biennio all'Accademia di Belle Arti di Carrara! Il mio indirizzo è quello di Pittura, alla quale sento da tanto tempo di voler concedere un'attenzione particolare e, per completare la mia carriera accademica, ho questa possibilità! Carrara è famosa in tutto il mondo per il suo marmo bianco che proviene dalle Alpi Apuane. É una città piccolina e preziosa e l'Accademia viene ospitata in quella che una volta era un castello! Sì, un castello!!! Ha così inizio una nuova avventura artistica e sono veramente emozionata!


Carrara, Tuscany,
Italy

The Academy of Fine Arts, Carrara


One of the classrooms with its gessi: copies of statues made out of plaster


The incredible vaulted ceilings in the library of the Academy


A beautiful piazza in Carrara


One of the many stunning and historical works of art scattered around the town







 Me on the train! ;)
It's about a 20 minute train ride from where I live to get to Carrara...

No comments:

Post a Comment